Visit the Gallery
Gallery Bergen is located on the third floor of West Hall on the main campus of Bergen Community College in Paramus, New Jersey. We present exhibitions and performances by BCC students and faculty as well as curated exhibitions that connect with our community, our curriculum, and the important issues of our time.
Bergen Community College
West Hall, 3rd floor
400 Paramus Road, Paramus, NJ 07652
The Land on which West Hall was built is part of the ancient homeland and traditional territory of the indigenous Munsee/Algonquian speaking peoples who became known to the Dutch settlers as the Lenape and Ramapough. We pay respect to Lenape and Ramapough peoples past, present, and future – those who continue to live in this, their homeland and those who were banished or fled throughout the Indigenous diaspora. To recognize the land is an expression of gratitude and appreciation to those whose territory we reside on, and a way of honoring the Indigenous people who have been living and working on the land from time immemorial. It is important to understand the long standing history that has brought us to reside on the land, and to seek to understand our place within that history.
We are also cognizant that we cannot separate the history of our college or our community from the history of colonialism and slavery in the United States. This land was also the home of African people who were brought here in slavery; African slaves constituted 20% of the population in 1800. Some became free farmers and tradespeople; others escaped to the mountains where they joined the communities of the indigenous peoples. These people of African descent lived, worked, died, and resisted in Bergen County for over three hundred years. This legacy persists today as we continue to work towards racial justice, equity, liberation, and community here in Bergen County, New Jersey.